Friday, February 11, 2011

Fail to Plan -Plan to Fail - Maintaining Momentum

The weight I lost is staying off  but eating sensibly, and in line with losing weight is being challenged daily. It seems I crave milky things and fatty buscuits and chocolate. Who knew? Well this is where some planning has helped. I bought some protein powder and keep it at work. It's chocolate, I mix it with half skim milk and water and it fills me up and helps some cravings. I have taken some home too.It has fat burning ingredients also. How effective they are ....... who knows? I believe I can argue the benefits of Acetyl L Carnitine though, when taken before exercise, and perhaps between meals on a calorie reduced diet. Not sure on that last bit.

I guess I haves succeeded, (thus far...) in  this endeavor ie losing weight, due to changes I have made. I planned meals and took the time to stop, think, prioritise. Something I have done rarely in my life. I have to some extent drifted in many areas of my life and really been okay with that, to a point, begrudgingly so in my career. Just never really chosen a direction and have seen work as a means to an end. Planning seems to have worked in creating change and giving me more control of my life and body if only in this small area.
It's time to try broadening this approach me thinks.

I recently had lunch with an old acquaintance/ friend, who is newly into mountain biking but in a big way. He is training for a big 100km event - and is a study in planning, motivation, and prioritisation. Travels further than  me, has more kids than me, has been riding for less time than me, but is out there riding 2-3 times per week and still looking after his job and family. The universe is speaking to me as they say.

After three and half years on contract I just successfully interviewed for a permanent position with my current employer, the sweet part is it came with a promotion to 2nd level support in IT. On the proviso I complete my MCSE or equivalent. Another time challenge, but one I am going to meet, head on, but after some planning and prioritising. I can see I am going to have to really plan to make my available time efficient and meet my riding and bikepacking goals while improving the house and looking after my family.

I see an analogy with riding undulating terrain. You ride along and enjoy the downhills and easy bits but use them and pedal harder to charge you up for the next climb, and climb in the knowledge that it will bring another downhill and a sense of satisfaction and perhaps some flowing singletrack as a bonus.

In the end so much in life is about maintaining the momentum.  Look forward and keep pedaling.
Planning my workouts, booking in rides and events, and prioritising as I go. I have been coasting way too long, and the momentum needs to be kicked along a bit. woo hoo!


No comments:

Post a Comment