Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tis the Season... for seasoning>?

I am not a blogger - I am not a blogger - I am not a blogger. And yet..... here we go again

After such a long time - you'd think there's be loads to say, well there is but much of it will remain unsaid.

First the heavy stuff......I think I am getting older but not necessarily wiser. Still falling into the same old holes.

I still desire long rides, weekends away, numerous bikes, time alone tinkering, and with a family and house renovations that demand and deserve my time and that pay their own rewards in other significant ways this perceived need, or rather the conflict it causes within me makes me feel like I am not living, makes me grey and flattens me and my outlook. I guess you could say it depresses me.

It seems I see every social invitation as a conflict with what I would rather be doing, so I go as I am invited, I do enjoy myself, but still feel unconnected to many of the people around me. I am not sharing the experience at the same level.

My lack of time out recently has been greater than usual driven by the lead up to a Christmas lunch for the family, extended work duties, rushing around for Christmas presents and preparing the house for the " season".

This preparation has highlighted to me just how many jobs remain undone around the house, how much time needs to be put into this, and how little time out I can see in the future. Most of all , it has shone the light on how all my going on about planning has come to nought where ii matters and where it would help me most.

I realise also this much:
 I am accountable for this I am the one who wants this time out, I am the one who must get these jobs done, the house renovations completed and properly. I am the father and husband of our house who loves his girls and wife, (and dog), that deserve my time and devotion that reward me and give me so much love and a sense of place that my personal obsessions are a little bit unbalanced and misplaced.


I must plan, and not just plan within my own capabilities, in my own mind.
I must plan collaboratively with friends and family. Increase my accountability, increase my resources, and more importantly increase my expectations.

Find time, make time and prioritise:
I am lucky! I have a secure job that demands little more than standard hours. I have a manageable mortgage and for most part a family in solid health. Many people have far less and greater challenges than I yet seem to be able to keep it all going on. Work, Home, Family, commitments and personal projects as well.

Think your busy....well, get busy:
Consider what others might do, or have to do to achieve their goals. Successful people that run their own businesses, help others and still look after their families, and own needs. Single mothers, entrepreneurs like Dick Smith and John Symonds and Mark Bouris, sports people, even members of your own family, I look to my sister here. She is a dynamo. She runs her own clothes shop, cares for many around her, caters up a storm, and still finds time to live a little.

I think I'll need more coffee!

PS: Add some chilli to your coffee, it warms everything up and tastes great.

In an effort to make some headway into the riding drought I have agreed to do the Convict 100 this year. Formerly known as the Dirtworks100 it is a race I will not race, but complete in a mature and responsible manner, until I fall over with exhaustion and vomit on my shoes. 100kms! - I've never done more than 80km on road in one hit.

I'll get some 5hr plus  rides in before the end of February and then start training properly. I might ride part of the way to work to maintain fitness and build up the kilometers. I have some experienced campaigners to add to my resources and plan to book some rides in with them and pick their brains in terms of heart rate, nutrition, and preparedness. I will of course look to Dr Google.

As ever I look at my quiver of bikes and wonder, do I have the tool for the job>? As ever the answer is a resounding " sort of". Too much choice - again creates stress, oh if I only had one bike! Nah! just kidding.

The quiver at the moment is again in growth. A newish Singular Swift. comes back to me.

Santa Cruz Heckler - general trail machine acquired to keep up with my brother in law.

Kotzur Brevivelo - 29er tourer- XC machine - trail bike built for versatility and comfort
Rivendell Atlantis - Road tourer - long haul and comfort bike - under used!
Singular Swift - trail 29er - light weight rocket - to be go to machine I think.












I am sure there will be some purchases associated with this endeavor.  Longer stems? multi grip bars? new shorts? new jersey? new jacket? and the big question - compression garments? - to these a I say  nooooo!.

My choice of steed will probably be the Kotzur 29er with light wheels, fast cross-mark tyres, and semi riser bars and a multigrip style bar- no purchases required! Or the singular swift in the same guise, could be a tad lighter and faster. Rigid ? .....Maybe, with a racing ralph 2.4 up front.

Whatever, the bike will be secondary to the planning for training and the actual ride, and in an effort to make time - lights will have to be used for home renovations and riding.

I am glad I've managed to keep my weight down, currently at about 83.5 kg about 11kg down on my heaviest. This alone will make my training easier. Watching carbs and of course total intake has been one big factor in this success. The other has been the circuit training 2-3 times per week.

I said I am lucky - and I am, I do have a good metabolism it seems, but also lucky an ex army guy at work has taken on training a group up to 4 times per week for 40 minutes or so. It's all the stuff I like compound body weight exercises and some kettlebell stuff. Missed the last few weeks but picking up again this week. I want to loose a bit more flab - less focus on weight now because I don't really want to lose muscle mass. It burns fat, and moves the bike.

So my goal is to up the riding - of all types. Maintain the circuit work but focus on longer workouts and lactic acid tolerance, and complete at least one 4 hr ride per week, unless I get a longer one in, t hen, I'll add another 2 hr ride. Once again I will have to defer to some experienced campaigners on this preparation.

Well Christmas is upon us- God bless all who may stumble across the rambling -NOW  Get Busy

No comments:

Post a Comment